This session broadcasted on Mar, 24 2021, 4:00 AM (GMT-4)
As the world is grappling with a global pandemic, climate change has not ceased in disrupting businesses. An imminent threat to our natural resources, the livelihood of many and to the world's economy, climate change has created more variables for businesses to take into account. In light of this disruption, regulators and other stakeholders have called upon firms to address climate-change risks and opportunities in their business strategy in an integrated and effective way. Developed on Shariah principles, Islamic finance is worth today more than USD3 trillion and has long been focused on sustainability with the perception that it operates on higher moral standards.
With an assembly of global leaders who are at the forefront of combating climate change, this live session will shed light on the pivotal role of standards in guiding companies to overcome climate threats and build an effective climate governance for the Islamic finance industry.
- What steps are being taken by regulators and policy makers in response to climate change?
- What approaches are being adopted by global standard-setting bodies in issuing standards relating to climate change?
- What is the role of Shariah scholars in championing the climate change agenda at the board level?
- What challenges is the Islamic finance industry facing in implementing climate-change standards?
- H.E. Dr. Bandar M. H. Hajjar, President, Islamic Development Bank Group (IsDB)
Regulators and Policymakers Panel
- Daud Vicary (Moderator), Advisory Board Chairman, IslamicMarkets
- Karina Litvack, Founder, Climate Governance Initiative, World Economic Forum (WEF)
- Sohail Zubairi, Senior Advisor, Dubai Islamic Economy Development Centre (DIEDC)
- Arup Chatterjee, Principal Financial Sector Specialist, Asian Development Bank (ADB)
- Margie Ong, Chief Executive Officer, Thoughts in Gear (Moderator)
- Blake Goud, Chief Executive Officer, RFI Foundation
- Arsalaan Ahmed (Oz), Chief Executive Officer, Al Rajhi Bank Malaysia
- Assoc. Prof. Dr. Aznan Hasan, Deputy Chairman, Shariah Advisory Council of Securities Commission Malaysia (SC)
16:00 Kuala Lumpur